How to Make Sashiko Ornaments
Making Sashiko ornaments is a great way to see what the slow-stitch movement is all about. It’s slow stitch, to be sure, but the projects are so small you can complete them in short order.
If you love it, you can take on more and/or larger slow-stitch projects. But if it’s not your thing, you will still have pretty ornaments to decorate your own home or to give as sweet gifts.
If you are new to Sashiko, check out our Step-by-Step Guide to Sashiko Stitching or if you are looking for a comprehensive reference try The Ultimate Sashiko Sourcebook by Susan Briscoe. You’ll be ready to tackle these ornaments and much more!
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners. Your purchases via these links may benefit Create Whimsy. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.
To make ornaments just like ours, download our FREE Sashiko Ornament pattern, Create Whimsy’s gift to you – we want you to try this!
If you fall in love with hand stitch, our etsy store has more embroidery patterns.
To design your own ornaments, follow these steps:
Gather Your Supplies:
- Sashiko fabric
- Size 8 perle cotton or Sashiko thread
- Sashiko needle
- Scissors and thread snips
- Your favorite marking tools
- 6 inches narrow ribbon for each ornament
- A bit of polyester fiberfill
Instructions to Make Sashiko Ornaments:
- Choose your design. Our patterns make ornaments that are about 3-1/2-inches square. If your design is a different size, you will cut your fabric differently.
- For each of our ornaments, cut one 6-inch square and one 4-inch square of Sashiko fabric. You will stitch on the larger piece and trim to size after stitching. The 4-inch square will be the back of the ornament. If using another design, add 2-1/2 inches to the finished size for the larger piece and add 1/2-inch to the dimensions for the smaller piece.
- Transfer each pattern to the larger square using your favorite method. https://createwhimsy.com/projects/6-ways-to-transfer-your-embroidery-design-to-fabric/
- Thread your needle and stitch with Sashiko stitches (similar to running stitch) following the marked lines.
- Remove marking lines according to product instructions.
- Trim to 4” x 4”, or the size of your smaller piece of fabric, centering the design.
- Fold a piece of ribbon in half and place it at the center of the top of your ornament, raw edges together.
- Pin front and back pieces, right sides together. Stitch with ¼-inch seam, leaving an opening for turning.
- Turn to the right side, easing out the corners. Stuff with fiberfill and slip stitch the opening closed.
Your ornament is ready to hang!
Browse through more Sashiko projects and inspiration on Create Whimsy.