This quilt block is perfect for making fall home decor items or making enough blocks for a quilt!
The maple leaf quilt block shows off two fabrics, one for the leaf and one for the background. You can use prints or solids, the key is to make sure there is plenty of contrast between the fabrics.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.
This free quilt block pattern has the information for making the maple leaf quilt block in five (5) finished sizes. Choose 6-inch, 9-inch, 12-inch, 15-inch and 18-inch quilt blocks.
Here is the layout of the fabric for this block:
Here are how to cut the fabrics for five (5) different finished block sizes for the maple leaf.
From Fabric 1, we’ll make four (4) half square triangles, one (1) solid square and one (1) block that will be for the background of the stem.
From Fabric 2, we’ll make four (4) half square triangles, three (3) solid squares and the horizontal line to make the stem.
Ideas for the Maple Leaf Quilt Block
- Use different colors for the leaf in the colors of fall leaves – yellow golds, reds, burgundy and orange!
- Make a lap quilt with different sizes of blocks put together. For example, use a few 18-inch blocks, a few 9-inch blocks and scatter some 6-inch and 3-inch blocks to fill in spaces!
- Make a table runner for fall with several maple leaf blocks scattered down the runner.
- Make a four block square with maple leaves for a wall quilt for fall.
- Vary the direction of the leaves to make them look like they are blowing in the wind.
Browse through more free quilt patterns on Create Whimsy.