Tassels are everywhere! Make your own tassels, save money, and get what you really want! DIY yarn tassels are so easy to make. The basic supplies are a box or piece of cardboard that you can wrap your thread, yarn, string, or fabric around and a pair of scissors! You can learn how to make a tassel with our step-by-step tutorial.
Use a bigger box or piece of cardboard to make longer tassels. Add more loops of thread to make fatter tassels.
Have fun with this quick project that can add some fun and a decorative touch to your home decor projects. Maybe add a tassel to the top of a knit hat, or even to the bottom of a quilt!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.
Tassels can be tied to a garland to make a tassel garland. Add to the bottom of a ribbon for a tassel bookmark. Make tassels from yarn and sew to the corners of a home dec pillow. Use chunky fabric tassels to tie back your curtains. So many great ideas for DIY tassels!
Here is our quick tutorial that shows an easy way to make tassels.
No need to purchase premade tassels. There is no tricky tassel-making technique. You can make beautiful tassels in different sizes in no time!
What are different ideas for making tassels?
- Make mini tassels with six-strand embroidery floss and a small piece of cardboard. Tip: use a yarn needle or tapestry needle to slip through loops to make the top of the tassel.
- Make smaller tassels with lighter weight yarn and a shorter piece of cardboard. These would be fun to tie on a zipper pull for a purse charm!
- Make long tassels with a long piece of cardboard.
- Make bigger tassels by winding more yarn around the cardboard. The thickness of your tassel depends on number of loops as well as the thickness of the yarn.
- Don’t have a cardboard sheet? Use a cereal box to cut different size templates for your tassels.
- The top string can be used for hanging your tassel or tying it to a package.
- Have uneven ends? Take sharp scissors and carefully trim up the bottom of the tassel.
Here are some more DIY tassels for your inspiration. We made a red and white twine tassel and a jute tassel. These are inexpensive ways to make cute tassels! Add a little flair to packages with these simple yarn tassels.
Add some bling to the top of your tassel. Here is how to make a beaded top tassel.
Like this project? You might also like our article on how to make pom poms.
Browse through more home dec projects and ideas on Create Whimsy.