In Seattle, coffee is king, and it’s easy to pick up someone else’s cup (or worse, someone could pick up yours!) when they all look alike. So make your cuppa easy to find with a distinctive piece of art. Read on to learn how to make a DIY coffee cup sleeve!
This coffee cozy pattern is reusable.
You can make reusable coffee sleeves from quilters cotton and batting.
- Use the sleeve your favorite coffee shop provides as your sleeve template.
- Draw the pattern and add 1-inch around all edges.
- Cut two (2) pieces of fabric and one (1) piece of batting with the extra 1-inch.
- Layer the batting, one piece of fabric right side up and then the last piece of fabric right side down.
- Sew, with a 1/2-inch seam allowance, along the wider long edge which would be closest to the top of your cup. Press the seam open. You now have a big piece of fabric with curved edges on both sides.
- Line up the sides (shorter ends of your fabric) and sew them together, catching the batting in the seam. You now have a big loop. Turn so the right sides are out and press again.
- Turn in the bottom edge about 1/2-inch and topstitch. The DIY coffee sleeve made from fabric is ready to be used!
Make it yours! Have fun with different fabrics and embellishment ideas. Use scraps of trims, try out that new embroidery stitch that’s been calling to you. There are so many ideas for making a coffee cup sleeve that is uniquely yours!