Make your own flat fabric cording to coordinate with your sewing project, or replace a boring cording on your ready-to-wear clothing. This is a simple project that can make a big impact on your finished item.
Flat fabric cording can be used for so many great projects! By making your own, you can make it any color or use any fabric for a great pattern or design!
- Since you can make this any width, it is terrific to create handles for bags or totes. The four layers of fabric make it durable and strong.
- Use this for a drawstring waist on pants or a skirt.
- Embellish home decor projects by sewing it down in patterns or designs. Example, lay out strips in different diagonal directions to make a throw pillow cover. Learn how to make a basic throw pillow cover in our article.
- Make a custom lanyard for your ID badge using fabric you love. For the sports fan in your life, make them one with their teams fabric. Celebrate each holiday with a new festive lanyard. If you have to wear it everyday at work, you might as well have some fun!
- Use scraps of fabric to sew together to make long strips that can be used as gift wrap ties.
Browse through all of our sewing projects on Create Whimsy.
Check out the Lotus-style Kinchaku drawstring bag that uses a flat drawstring cord.