Halloween graveyard fencing and gravestones are so easy to build, you don’t need to spend a lot of money at the local Halloween stores. Make them yourself in a little bit of time, with a few simple supplies. Set the mood for a great Halloween, whether you are having a party or not! Add some fake spider webs in the fence to make it even scarier!
How to make a Halloween graveyard fence
For the graveyard fencing, I bought inexpensive fencing lumber & garden stakes from my local hardware store.
- Position 2 long pieces of fencing lumber parallel, then lay the shorter garden stakes perpendicular every 4-6 inches.
- Screw the garden stakes to the fencing lumber.
- Spray or roll paint the wood black.
- Add metal stakes to firmly stick in the ground.
How to make Halloween gravestones
The gravestones are made from various Styrofoam collected throughout the year from friends & families packaging. Styrofoam sheets were purchased from the local hardware store, and anytime I had a craft store coupon I would pick up another big block.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.
- Cut the Styrofoam into desired shapes using a razor blade. Various chisels and wood carving tools were used to etch names & dates.
- Glue garden stakes or small wooden shims to the back, so they stand up on the ground.
- Spray paint the entire gravestone black, then add dark gray accents/highlights.
- Outline the lettering and dates with a small paintbrush in white.
- Add rock piles or dirt mounds for that “fresh grave” look.
Have fun making your Halloween graveyard fencing and gravestones for a scary yard.
Check out all of our scary and fun Halloween diy projects on Create Whimsy!