Halloween graveyard fencing and gravestones are so easy to build, you don’t need to spend a lot of money at the local Halloween stores. Make them yourself in a little bit of time, with a few simple supplies. Set the mood for a great Halloween, whether you are having a party or not! Add some fake spider webs in the fence to make it even scarier!
How to make a Halloween graveyard fence
For the graveyard fencing, I bought inexpensive fencing lumber & garden stakes from my local hardware store.
- Position 2 long pieces of fencing lumber parallel, then lay the shorter garden stakes perpendicular every 4-6 inches.
- Screw the garden stakes to the fencing lumber.
- Spray or roll paint the wood black.
- Add metal stakes to firmly stick in the ground.
How to make Halloween gravestones
The gravestones are made from various Styrofoam collected throughout the year from friends & families packaging. Styrofoam sheets were purchased from the local hardware store, and anytime I had a craft store coupon I would pick up another big block.
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners. Your purchases via these links may benefit Create Whimsy. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.
- Cut the Styrofoam into desired shapes using a razor blade. Various chisels and wood carving tools were used to etch names & dates.
- Glue garden stakes or small wooden shims to the back, so they stand up on the ground.
- Spray paint the entire gravestone black, then add dark gray accents/highlights.
- Outline the lettering and dates with a small paintbrush in white.
- Add rock piles or dirt mounds for that “fresh grave” look.
Have fun making your Halloween graveyard fencing and gravestones for a scary yard.
Check out all of our scary and fun Halloween diy projects on Create Whimsy!