Plain Sweatshirt To Cute Sweatshirt In About An Hour
Do you love how a cozy sweatshirt feels on a cold day, but hate how ugly they are? Use your creativity, have a little fun, and transform a plain sweatshirt in just a few minutes.
Start with a plain sweatshirt (Hanes make a good one at a reasonable price).
To make the neckline:
- Cut the ribbing off of the neck.
- Turn under ¼ inch, then ¼ inch again to make a rolled hem. Hand stitch. This could also be done by machine, but the stitching will be more obvious.
To complete the sleeves:
- Cut off the ribbing. Shorten as you wish- I made three quarter sleeves.
- To make cuff, turn up ¾ inch and ¾ inch again. Tack at in seam and mid point of sleeve. This makes a slightly contrasting cuff of the fleece.
- You could also just hem, if you don’t want the cuff.
To make the flower:
- Draw a pattern for flower with petals on a small piece of paper.
- Take the material cut off of the sleeves. Cut out multiple circles based on flower pattern. Remember to cut an odd number (I cut five).
- Alternate the fabric between the smooth side and fleece side to have tonality.
- Use a shank button as the center. Stich through all layers of fabric.
- Pin it to the sweatshirt from the inside so you can adjust placement. (it can be sewn directly to the sweatshirt if you wish).
To finish bottom:
Depending on your preference and the desired length and shape of the shirt choose one of the finishes below.
- Do nothing! Leave the bottom ribbed as you purchased it. It will gather slightly at the bottom.
- Cut a wedge from each side seam to create modified “shirt-tail’ effect. Hem this in the same way you finished the neckline. This helps the bottom edge lay flat and stops it from “cupping”.
- Remove the ribbing and hem in the same way you finished the neckline, creating straight “box” shape.
Variations to transform a plain sweatshirt:
- Cut different shaped necklines.
- Trim neck, sleeves and hem with contrasting bias tape or fabric strips cut on bias.
- Omit flower and add a pocket or trim to front.
Be as creative as you wish! The basic shape is created by the sweatshirt…you create the whimsy!
Enjoy your new more feminine sweatshirt!