Giving Back – Charity Projects
Keep your hands busy making great items to give back to your community, or to help people around the world. Use up your “stash”, or have a good reason to collect more! We’ve tried to round up all of the different Charity Projects that are looking for makers.
If you know of any other charity projects that are looking for makers, please send us the information at hello@createwhimsy — we’d love to include you on this list!
Love making quilts?
- Quilts for Kids: Patchwork quilts for children in need. Find a chapter near you.
- Quilts of Valor: Quilts of comfort and healing for service members and veterans. Find a chapter near you.
- Quilts from Caring Hands: Oregon’s children-at-risk: the homeless, those in foster care, drug addicted, HIV positive, visually impaired, abused, as well as infants of teen mothers
- Quilts from the Heart: Several local chapters that make handmade patchwork quilts for “at risk” children, teenagers, and adults.
- American Hero Quilts: Quilts provide a recognition and an appreciation to our wounded service men and women who served in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.
Keeping those knitting and crocheting needles busy!
- Bella’s Babies: Knitting or crocheting baby blankets to keep newborns warm.
- Project Linus: Provide love, a sense of security, warmth and comfort to children who are seriously ill, traumatized, or otherwise in need through the gifts of new, handmade blankets and afghans, lovingly created by volunteer “blanketeers.” Project Linus welcomes quilts, too!
- Binky Patrol: Knitting, crocheting or sewing blankets to comfort children. The site offers free patterns, too.
- Little Hats, Big Hearts: Knit or crochet hats for our youngest heart patients.
- Afghans for Afghans is a humanitarian and educational people-to-people project that sends hand-knit and crocheted blankets and sweaters, vests, hats, mittens, and socks to the beleaguered people of Afghanistan.
- Precious Pals Program: Provides immediate comfort to children in crisis by providing thousands of stuffed animals with knitted outfits to law enforcement agencies and other first responders all over the United States
- Mother Bear Project: Dedicated to providing comfort and hope to children affected by HIV/AIDS in emerging nations by giving them a gift of love in the form of a hand-knit or crocheted bear.
- Crochet for Cancer: Handmade chemo caps to cancer centers for patients coping with hair loss.
And, more great causes!
- Warm Hearts, Warm Babies: Make clothes for the tiniest premie babies.
- Enchanted Makeovers: Supports women and their children in homeless shelters with a variety of programs and projects. Make pillowcases, dolls and capes — or help when they find a new home.
- Snuggles Project: Help comfort animals at shelters with blankets and toys.
- Little Dresses for Africa: Make pillowcase or other simple little dresses for girls in Africa, who often become the care givers for their families.
- Days for Girls: Help girls gain access to quality sustainable feminine hygiene and awareness, by direct distribution of sustainable feminine hygiene kits.
- Bead of Courage: Providing innovative, arts-in-medicine supportive care programs for children coping with serious illness, their families and the health care providers who care for them.
- The Angel Gown Program: Donated wedding gowns are transformed into Angel Gowns for families who have lost a baby. They are accepting applications for seamstresses.
Here are some of the projects that the Create Whimsy community has made to give back:
- Ode to Mammaogram
- Pillowcases for a women’s shelter
- Art Quilt for a Ronald McDonald House auction
- Necklace for Woodinville Repertory Theatre auction
- Machine Embroidered Pillowcases for Bellevue LifeSpring family
Know of other great programs? Send them to us and we’ll add to this list! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.