Exposed Seams Dress

Exposed Seams Dress

Exposed Seams Dress

For years, I’ve participated in a fun class led by Jane Koura at Quiltworks in Bellevue, WA titled Creative Clothing. It’s an amazing group of women who were initially brought together by Lorraine Torrence. They meet monthly about 7 months a year (take the summer off). Each month is a show & tell of what you’ve made in the prior month, some inspiration and an assignment for the next month. This month the assignment was to make a garment where the seams are part of the design. Exposed Seams Dress satisfied the assignment with a dress I can wear to work.

I did double duty with this dress, and used the shift pattern provided by Tina Sparkles for the Shift Change project.

How I Did It

I put a contrasting flange in the primary seams and added hand embroidery stitching to emphasize the seam. The simple running stitch accents the seam lines without screaming “look at me!”

Exposed Seams Dress

I took the extra time to do Hong Kong finish on all of the seams.  As a result, the inside looks almost as nice as the right side!  Check it out!

Exposed Seams Dress

And I even added a tag to the dress – to finish it off professionally! I got my labels at The Dutch Label Shop.

Exposed Seams Dress

Here is the finished dress — on the right side!

Exposed Seams Dress

Facebook Comments